Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Vacation Part 1: Bear Lake

I guess it is time to caught up on this little blog of mine. I'll start by reminiscing about our wonderful vacation to Utah, Idaho and Wyoming at the end of June and beginning of July. It was probably the best vacation we've ever had, even though it was just in our old stomping grounds. It was just so nice to finally have the time to see the people and places we love so much.

Bryan was able to take the day before the trip off to help with the girls while I got us packed to go...it was very helpful and much more fun for them, I think.


We flew out on Tuesday, June 21. When arrived at the airport I got a text message saying that our plane had been delayed, which meant we wouldn't make our connecting flight and would sit in the Las Vegas airport until 11 p.m. (2 a.m. FL time). All I could think was NO WAY!!! We got to the gate just as another flight was leaving (which coincidental was the flight Bryan's brother's family was flying out on) and they happened to have four seats open (which is just what we needed for Bryan, me, Grace and Eleanore -- the babies would be sitting on our laps). Bryan was unsure of it, but I was convinced even if we had to sit apart it would be better than camping the Vegas airport for several hours with tired babies. So we hoped on. There were no seats together and I plead with the other passengers to let me and my 3-year-old sit together. The only response I got was blank stares. Seriously? Note to self: do not forget what is like to travel with small children when my children grow and have mercy on young mothers when I see them down the road. The flight attendant was finally able to find someone who would move. El, Ivy and I ended up in the front of the plane and Bryan, Maya and Grace were towards the back, near Rob's family. The kids were awesome on the plane. When we arrived in Utah at around 8 p.m. our luggage was not there yet (it was too late to get it on the earlier flight so it arrived at the time our original flight got there). We stayed at an airport near the hotel, our luggage was delivered in the middle of the night and by Wednesday morning we were ready to PAR-TAY!

We woke up Wednesday and headed towards Bear Lake with a stop in Logan for lunch. We met the Holmes family at one of our old favorite eateries (we have a lot of them in those parts -- I think we ate like we may never get to eat again) Firehouse Pizza. After lunch and a yummo Pazookie, we headed towards Bear Lake. 

At the scenic overlook arriving at Bear Lake. SOOO BEAUTIFUL!
With the Holmes cousins (L-R: Ivy, Maya, Eleanore, Cache, Mason, Jonah, Anna, Grace).
 
Upon arriving at the cabin we discovered that it was AWESOME! There were 9 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, 2 laundry rooms with 2 sets of machines in each, a huge kitchen with dining for 45 people, plenty of living space, a pool table, air hockey table, a gym with a trampoline, swing set, putting green, and basketball court, a movie theater and slides that the kids could take as an alternate to the stairs from each of the three levels. It was such an awesome set up. We had 25 children and 19 adults and really felt like there was enough space for everyone.


Eleanore and sweet cousin Milly. Eleanore was so happy to have several little girl cousins to play with. I hardly saw her from the minute we walked into the cabin until bedtime or time to leave each day.

Ivy and Maya hanging out on the entrance to the slide.

Celebrating beautiful Grace's 12 birthday on the day we arrived at the cabin.
The night we arrived at the cabin we celebrated cute Grace Holmes' 12th birthday. In perfect Aunt Melisa character, we had an awesome birthday party where the girls made darling ribbon-tied flip flops and the boys made duct tape wallets (which turned out to be a "big boy" favorite). The kids got to make ice cream in a bag and eat delicious chocolate sheet cake. It was a great way to celebrate one of our favorite girls and kick off a weekend full of fun.

When Grandma Toy and Aunt Mimi (KimE) arrived with the food I about passed and truly thought they went way overboard on grocery shopping (see the photo below), but believe it or not, we about cleared out the cupboards before the weekend was over.
Uncle Tim-bones and Cousin Gabe...two cool cats.

Aunt Miriam and Tim and Nancy's sweet angel Eva.

Ivy loving the slide.

Bryan hanging out in the clubhouse off the kitchen.
Thursday we spent the day at the north beach. Most of the beach surrounding the lake was under water, but we were happy to find this section that was good for playing, albeit a bit muddy. The kids had a wonderful time together. I would say the entire trip was worth it just to observe the fun the girls had playing with their cousins.

Not a cuter group of girls ever, I don't think.

Ivy Girl

Maya Bear


Maya had a certain obsession with Eleanore's Crocs throughout our trip. The second El would take them off Maya would put them on...she wore them around the house in the pool and even to bed.


The Pink Ladies: Lucy, El and Milly


Who looks this good (in a swimsuit, might I say) as a preggo? Only my little sis. :)
Thursday night Aunt KimE and Aunt Liza hosted an Unbirthday Party where the kids made Mad Hatter hats and decorated cupcakes. I loved how fancy El's hat turned out. I have to say I think KimE is the best Aunt that ever lived. We are so lucky she loves our kids so much.




Friday it was back to the beach for more fun, this time a lot of time was spent building sand castles. Daddy/Uncle Bryan entertained many of the kids for hours as the wandered back forth helping him with is his castle.

Cute cousin Severin eating a sandwich.

Mims and baby Harper.

Loving the sand. She really is a beach baby.


Ring Around the Rosey.

Ashes, Ashes...

We all fall down!


Playing with cousin Grace.

Sand pies.


Lucy and El treating them to spa treatment sand therapy.

Love those smiles!

And the big guys were serious about their sand castles. Uncle Chris, the architect, build forms for their castle building.
They ended up with this awesome Octopus sculpture.

The castle Bryan and the kids built.

Friday night we had a family talent show. This was one of the highlights of the reunion for me. Nearly everyone in the family participated with talents that included Jude's "Stump the Chump" sports trivia talent (that 8-year-old his pretty amazing with his knowledge of sports trivia past and present...I think he outta be a sports commentator when he grows up), Sydney's violin playing, the little girls' dance performance to Beyonce's Single Ladies complete with ring pops, Uncle Bryan's story of Mary, Uncle Dave's Speed Cooking, Uncle Travis's ice cream smashing, the Holmes' family lesson on how to change a diaper, the cooking show Mims and I put on, and Eleanore's impressive vocal solo of On a Golden Springtime (which happened to be a proud mommy moment, she really did good!).




That night a lot of the big peeps enjoyed a friendly game of poker with nickles at the ante.

The next day, Saturday, my brother Dave and I, rose early to participate in the Bear Lake 5K. We were both a little shocked that the huge hill that the cabin sat on was part of the race course. Let's just say I've been running for several months and thought the 5K would be no problem, but I've been running in FLAT Florida. It was hard, and I had to walk the hill, but I was able to finish in 29:42, which met my goal of under 30 minutes, so I was happy!



That afternoon we had the Toy Family Olympics, with each individual family competing against the others in an egg toss, pie eating contest, gunny sack rack, relay race, and other field games. There was also a good game of kick ball going on at the beautiful park.


Our family on the balcony of the cabin.
Then Sunday, after a drive through the hills, it was time to head back to the cabin for a family photo and say good-bye to lots of my family (a couple families traveled on to SLC with us). I hate good-byes. I really wish I lived in the same neighborhood as my family and that our kids could play together every weekend. Oh well, we are grateful for what we can get and sure enjoyed our time together at Bear Lake.

The mommy's and 6 of the 7 one-year-old cousins (missing sweet Sicily).

Me and my beautiful girls.

1-year-old cousins (L-R: Ivy, Maya, Kaleb, Anna, Harper and Eden) being bribed with Smarties to stay on the couch...this pic makes me laugh.

No comments: